Cosmetic dentistry is a combination of different procedures dedicated to enhance a person’s overall appearance to create a beautiful smile. Before you visit your dentist to discuss cosmetic dental treatment there are some things you should understand. Here are 7 facts you should know about cosmetic dentistry to help you when you are ready to undergo such dental treatment.
1. Cosmetic dentistry provides a broad variety of dental services to fit your needs and budget. This dental practice is divided into several major groups of procedures. Whitening processes will whiten your discolored and darkened teeth; dental veneers involve altering the appearance of your teeth; bonding means applying a layer to your tooth to address gaps, small chips and slight damage on your tooth structure.
2. Tooth whitening process is the most common type of cosmetic dentistry and includes laser tooth whitening, whitening gel and other whitening products which you can either obtain over-the-counter (whitening strips, pens, toothpaste) or through a dentist for a stronger whitening solution and for immediate results.
3. Crowns and bridges. Crowns or synthetic caps are used to re-establish a tooth after a procedure that restores it such as root canal. When a large portion of a tooth has been removed due to advanced tooth decay, crowns are often used. They are also used as cover-up for dental implants, attachments for bridges, prevention of a cracked tooth from becoming worse, and restoration of discolored or stained tooth.
4. Veneers may be the best option if you want to own a super attractive smile. Dental veneers are thin, porcelain, total covering for your teeth. Cracked and crooked teeth, discoloration, stains and even tooth gaps are problems no more with veneers. A porcelain veneer successfully conceals front teeth defects when the thin shell is pasted to the surface.
5. Dental bonding is a cheaper alternate to veneers. This procedure is utilized to repair minor dental flaws and is done by gluing a composite resin to the tooth which is shaped and hardened to cover up cracks and other physical imperfections in your teeth, including gaps.
6. Orthodontics is a procedure that can be grouped under cosmetic dentistry. This is used in combination with any of the major groups of cosmetic dental processes. This is done initially to properly position and align the teeth. Wires attached to brackets which are attached to your teeth are used to draw the teeth into position.
7. For permanent tooth replacement, a dentist uses dental implants and the procedure is done by surgically placing a small titanium screw into the jawbone. After this procedure, a crown is fitted.
These are the 7 facts you should know about cosmetic dentistry. It really doesn’t matter how long it’s been since your last visit to your dentist because cosmetic dentistry can create makeovers even with the most difficult of dental imperfections. An appointment with your dentist will help you decide on the most suitable procedure for you to improve your smile.